Healthy Chinese Food: Hot and Sour SoupAug 11, 2023
Is Chinese food a healthy diet? Look at Kung Pao chicken. It's full of starches, sodium, and sugar. And the staple white rice is 100% refined carbs. What are the health implications? High blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, hyperactivity, and mood disorders.
Westernized Chinese cuisine, in particular, contains more sugar, salt, and fat. But delicious doesn't always mean unhealthy! Originating from Sichuan, the flavourful hot and sour soup contains rich nutrients. It's also easy to cook.
- ¾ ounce of dried 香菇 xiāng gū "fragrant mushroom" (shiitake mushrooms)
- Two tablespoons of 酱油 jiàng yóu "sauce oil" (soy sauce)
- ¼ cup of seasoned rice vinegar
- One teaspoon of ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- Three tablespoons of cornstarch
- Three tablespoons of 水 shǔi "water"
- Two teaspoons of vegetable oil
- One teaspoon of minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ cup of sliced green onions
- Four cups of chicken broth
- ¼ cup of grated carrot
- Two tablespoons of red bell pepper
- ½ cup bamboo shoots
- One cup of cubed 豆腐 dòu fǔ "bean curd" (tofu)
- Two large eggs, beaten
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and slice into thin strips.
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, ground white pepper, and sesame oil in a small bowl; set aside until needed.
- Whisk cornstarch and water in another small bowl for slurry; set aside until needed.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, sliced green onions, and shiitake mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring up to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrot, red pepper, bamboo shoots, tofu, and the hot and sour mixture. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Stir the soup with a spoon while transferring the beaten eggs in a steady stream to create thin ribbons. Keep stirring until the soup comes back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Drizzle the cornstarch into the soup while stirring. The soup should thicken up within 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, taste for seasoning, and serve.
Chef John (2022, July 25). Chef John's Hot and Sour Soup. Allrecipes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/283133/chef-johns-hot-and-sour-soup/
Yang (2023, April 23). Is Chinese Food Fattening? Why Is Chinese Food Bad for You? The China Boss. https://thechinaboss.com/is-chinese-food-fattening-why-chinese-food-bad-for-you/
🎋 Vicky's VIP Newsletter (FREE)
My VIP Newsletter is perfect if you want exclusive monthly tips on everything Chinese, from music to movies! 🎶
I hate spam and will only send you valuable emails.